I’ve been working on this piece off and on for several months. I made a huge mistake and was very close to throwing it away. My family begged me not to, so I just set it aside. A week later I went back to see if I could repair the damage. After many days of careful, painstaking work I was able to fix the problem.
Things I learned on this piece:
1. At a certain point, Prismacolor pencils stop layering and start coming off of the paper! This goes along with the thing that all artists need to remember: don’t overwork a painting!!
2. The Icarus Board is an invaluable blending tool. It is also useful for layering color and making repairs. In order to fix the above mentioned problem and layer color over the areas where the Prismacolor was coming off I did the following process:
– sprayed the piece lightly with fixative
– let the painting dry thoroughly (about a day)
– turned the Icarus board to the highest setting
– very gently stroked the pencil tip in a single direction over the area
11×14 Stonehenge paper. Prismacolor and Luminance colored pencils.